Like our range of SharePoint products, after years of mammoth releases, we are changing our cadence to smaller and more focussed releases. We will still add big features, just fewer at a time, but more frequently.
Version 10.1.2 of the Muhimbi PDF Converter Services is the first of these focussed releases. Don't be thrown off by the small (sub) point release, we are adding a major new feature; the ability to extract data from PDF Forms using the FDF, XFDF and XML standards. Absolute brilliant new functionality for organisations and teams looking to automate PDF Form processing. Extract data using code, and store the results in a database, lists or make decisions based on the value of a field.
For details about this new functionality, check out this blog post.
We love our American friends, but the sooner this form disappears, the better. At least we can process it automatically now.
A quick introduction for those not familiar with the product: The Muhimbi PDF Converter Services is an ‘on premises’ server-based SDK that allows software developers to convert typical Office files to PDF format using a robust, scalable but friendly Web Services interface from Java, .NET, Ruby & PHP based solutions. It supports a large number of file types including MS-Office and ODF file formats as well as HTML, MSG (email), EML, AutoCAD and Image based files and is used by some of the largest organisations in the world for mission critical document conversions. In addition to converting documents, the product ships with a sophisticated watermarking engine, PDF Splitting and Merging facilities, an OCR facility and the ability to secure PDF files. Separate SharePoint and Cloud-based Subscription services are available as well.
When upgrading from a previous version, read this Knowledge Base article first .
Some of the main changes and additions in the new version are as follows:
- 7469 CoreLoggingSwitch logging to UTF-8 by default
- 7463 DocumentationImprovementInclude PDF Forms Data Export sample code
- 7332 EmailFixEmail date parsed incorrectly in some edge cases
- 7300 InfoPathFixInfoPath sometimes hangs while setting default printer
- 7228 MergeFixSome Form fields are lost after Merge
- 7163 PDF FormsNewImplement PDF Form Data extraction
- 7237 PDF SecureImprovementSecuring file takes extremely long time in some edge cases
- 7184 SetupImprovementInclude digital signatures also in minor setup files
- 7500 WatermarksFixException watermarking Chartsheet
- 7502 WatermarksFixException watermarking VeryHidden sheets
- 7398 WatermarksFixException watermarking sheet with comments
- 7395 WatermarksFixOffice watermark problem with certain section types
For more information check out the following resources:
- Product Page.
- FAQ & Knowledge Base.
- Release Notes.
- Administration Guide.
- User & Developer Guide.
- All PDF Converter Services related Blog Posts.
Download your free trial here (183MB). .